2.03.2008

The Little

Please note: I was looking over my huge stack of "do NOT publish posts" and came across the post below that I wrote back in September 2007. For some reason or another I thought it was gay and decided against posting it on my blog, but now that I look back, I kind of like it and think that you guys might kind of like it too! Therefore ... here you are.

...

A couple weekends ago my mother and I headed to San Antonio to visit my Nana. It was great spending quality time with her and my Aunt Susan. The trip made me think about life and the glory that it can have if you choose to surround yourself by special things and people that you love.

I sat on my Nana's sofa, surrounded by her belongings, and as I started to look around I noticed that each and every item she had in her home told a story about the woman she is today. There is a photograph hanging on her wall that she has had as long as I can remember. It is a picture of my Nana and Papa surrounded by their grandchildren and great grandchildren. I love this portrait because all of us where there together; and I can't remember the last time that all of us cousins were in one place at the same time. Then there is a image of a hat that my cousin drew for my Nana a while back. If an ordinary person saw this picture, they probably wouldn’t think anything of it. But, to our family it is exceptionally special. The hat in the picture was my Papa's that he wore all the time. My Papa was taken from us far too early, but the amount of time that we did spend with him was fabulous. My Nana also has a huge collection of turtle figurines that she has had for many years. Each turtle tells a different story either about a vacation she took, a person who gave her the figurine or even about a particular stage in her life which I think is extremely unique.

Don’t worry; I am not going to go into detail about each and every item that is in her home. The point that I wanted to make is that I believe if you choose to surround yourself with the things and people that make you happy then you are choosing to show the world who you are and why you’re the lovely person that you are.


It's amazing how it is the little in things, time and love that people give in life eventually grow to create the people we are today. I challenge each and everyone of you to live today to its fullest and by doing this, give something to someone that you love. It doesn’t have to be diamonds or a car, but let it be something small to show your appreciation. Also, remember to enjoy your surroundings because that is who you are, and you are unique in your own way. And you never know; the aspects in life that surround you today may not be around tomorrow. Hold on to the ones you love and gosh darn it; let these people know that you love them!

...

Have a wonderful Super Bowl Sunday everyone!

No comments: