Fact #2 : I changed my name my freshman year.
Once again, here is how it went down…
- Woke up on the first day of high school.
- Decided that I didn’t like my name anymore.
- Come on Mom and Dad, no one else was named Lane in my high school.
- Heaven forbid I stick out like a sore thumb.
- At the beginning of each class the teachers would call roll.
- They would ask if any students had any nicknames or go by another name.
- I shot my hand up into the air shouting out, “Elizabeth. My name is Elizabeth”.
- My friends stared at me like I was a tard.
- The teachers would scratch out “Lane” and rewrite “Elizabeth”.
- All 6 of my teachers were the only people in my school that called me Elizabeth.
- Sometimes the teachers would call out “my” name and I wouldn’t realize they were talking to me.
- In the middle of the school year my algebra teacher called home to inform my mother that I talked too much during class.
- Teacher: “Yes, Hi Mrs. Russell. This is Mrs. Lowman, Elizabeth’s algebra teacher”.
- Mom: “You must have contacted the wrong parent; I don’t have a child by that name”.
- Good job Mom, way to rat me out.
- My sophomore year I decided to go back to Lane.
- My friends still make fun of me for this.
- Today I am perfectly happy being Lane.